20040806

All I Am Is A Bad Day

Against my instincts, I decided to wait until this weekend to make another visit. I thought Mara would come back to the blog and tell me what happened by now, but she hasn't. I hope she's all right.

This could all be some big fucking joke to her, I guess. She could be jerking me around.

But then why'd Oddjob come beat me up on the sidewalk?

I dreamt of her last night. She lay naked, curled at the center of a circle made from some kind of powder and surrounded by figures in dark cloaks. I couldn't make out their faces. Torchlight animated the room's shadows. Mara's skin had a bluish tint to it and I could hear chanting.

The room felt cold and it was as though I was floating above it, watching, unable to move. I said her name over and over but no sound would come out. Finally, I shouted and she turned her head toward me.

Then I woke up, sweating. It felt real, all my senses feeding my brain information about the scene, the temperature, the sounds, the colors. It seemed when Mara looked up, she realized it was me and I could swear she pleaded for help, but I can't explain how I know that.


How the hell can I help her? I got beaten up by a short guy with a cane. I've got to try. I mean, what if that dream was real somehow? It's crazy, sure, but what if?


I've got to get this figured out for my own sanity.

Oh, yeah. Natalie sent me an e-mail this morning letting me know we were through. Funny, I hadn't thought about her in days. I guess the email was just the kind of thing I'd expect. It's not as though she's been around a lot lately.

I'm kind of glad. It makes this Mara thing less complicated.

I think.

We'll find out tonight. I'm on my way back to the bookstore. With any luck, Elise won't be around and whoever is there won't know who I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home